Department of Infectious Diseases Epidemiology
Head: Jan Kynčl, M.D., Ph.D.
The activities of the Department of Infectious Diseases Epidemiology are derived from the following EU umbrella legislation and regulations of the Czech Republic.
- Decision No 1082/2013/EU of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2013 on serious cross-border threats to health and repealing Decision No 2119/98/EC
- Regulation (EC) No 851/2004 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 21 April 2004 establishing a European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)
- Harmonization with the EU legislation
- Act No. 258/2000 on public health protection and amendments to other related acts (as amended)
The core activities of the Department are comprehensive service activities provided to the Ministry of Health of the Czech Republic are listed below:
- Participation in the monitoring and analysis of the epidemiological situation of communicable diseases at both the national and international levels, including publishing and lecturing activities
- Involvement in the preparation of infectious diseases surveillance programmes
- Close cooperation with microbiology laboratories of the Centre for Epidemiology and Microbiology and with the Department of Biostatistics of the National Institute of Public Health in implementing surveillance programmes at the country-wide level. Exchange of epidemiological and microbiological data needed for a comprehensive analysis of morbidity and mortality due to infectious diseases and for adopting relevant anti-epidemic measures. Ongoing assessment of outcomes of surveillance programmes
- Participation in the implementation and assessment of molecular epidemiology programmes at the national and international levels, along with microbiology laboratories of the Centre for Epidemiology and Microbiology and the Department of Biostatistics
- Cooperation with the Veterinary Service in implementing zoonoses surveillance.
- Participation in the European, WHO, and ECDC infectious disease notification networks and close cooperation with the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC)
- Data collection and exchange, testing the potential of the new ECDC information system - The European Surveillance System (TESSy), and ensuring the compatibility of the data from the national notification systems in the Czech Republic
- Participation in the preparation of national legislation: providing comments on the regulations and laws and providing background information to the public health or other sectors for producing methodical guidelines and adopting positions
- Activities related to the tasks of the Ministry of Health to meet the Resolution of the Government of the Czech Republic on the national programme for mitigation of climate change impacts in the Czech Republic
- Processing the reported cases of infectious diseases at a country-wide level in cooperation with the Department of Biostatistics and microbiology laboratories of the Centre for Epidemiology and Microbiology and providing information on the epidemiological situation in the Czech Republic in The Bulletin of the Centre for Epidemiology and Microbiology (ISSN 1804-8668)
- Weekly, monthly and yearly analyses of epidemiological data
- Participation in the maintenance and management of the reporting system of acute respiratory infections (ARI)
- Monitoring of the incidence of natural focus infections in cooperation with the Department of Biostatistics and participation in the national tick activity forecast system along with the Czech Hydrometeorological Institute from March to November
MUDr. Jitka Částková, CSc., January 28, 2010,
updated on June 20, 2016